How to use Germaben II
A few considerations need to be observed when using Germaben II.
- the pH of the lotion, or other product, must be 7.5 or lower
- the amount of oil used should be no greater than 25%
- Germaben II is added *after* complete emulsification with good stirring
- lotion solution should be less than 175 F when adding Germaben II and is prefered to be 140 degrees or less.
- usage rate is .3% to 1%
- cleanliness is vital to making lotions and other cosmetics
- never add borax, ammonia, baking soda or other alkaline products to the lotion. If an emulsifier is needed please use Emulsifying Wax (can be found in the catalog).
Joyfully Westra Thick Cream
1 gram Citric Acid
3.5 grams Liquid Glycerin
4.5 grams Stearic Acid
5 grams Emulsifying Wax
20 grams oil (liquid at room temperature)
65 grams purified water
0.5 grams Germaben II
0.5 grams Fragrance Oil
All ingredients are weighed. No exceptions will be offered from us or through our web site. Please get a good scale.
Combine Citric Acid, Liquid Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Emulsifying Wax, oil and water. Weigh the preservative and fragrance separately. Heat mixture until temperature reaches approximately 180 F. This is enough to melt the wax. Stir to ensure complete emulsification. You may use an immersion blender, otherwise known as milkshake blender, stick blender, etc. As mixture cools it will start to thicken. Add fragrance and preservative and stir well. Pour into sterilized containers.
The preservative and fragrance are weighed separately and set aside until needed.
If you choose to sell your creations we advise you first read the Cosmetics Handbook from the FDA. Second, your lotions will need to be challenge tested. For a challenge test you will need to employ the services of an independent lab. They will put a known number of germies in your mixture and then wait to see if they can grow.
When using Germaben II wear goggles and gloves. Wash hands well if contact is made with preservative. In the event the preservative enters the eye flush with water for 15 minutes then seek the advice of trained medical professionals.
Germaben II contains: